- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup of regular cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Cream the butter and sugar and then beat in the eggs.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour then form the dough into balls (each equal to 1 level tablespoon). Roll the balls first in the cane sugar and then in the confectioners' sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are firm and the tops crack, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Yields around 20 cookies.